How do you create rooms that you will love for a long time? Well, first you have to ask yourself a lot of questions. Check out my top five suggestions here below:
1. Determine how you want to use the room. What activities will take place here? Will it be a place for play, entertainment or relaxation? Be realistic and honest to yourself, your lifestyle and your budget.
2. Take a close look at the room from various angles and determine what you have to work with. Certain features of the room are hard to change. Think about how you will incorporate these features into your design.
3. Pin down what you like and dislike about the space. How can you accentuate the positive, and eliminate or camouflage the negative? Also decide what of the old is staying and what is going.
4. Visualize what you want the room to look like when you are finished. Should it be casual or formal? Modern or traditional? Create an image in your mind that you hold on to during the whole process. Browse design magazines for images that reflect what you want to achieve.
5. Determine if there is a natural focal point in the room. Explore different ways to highlight it. If there is no natural focal point you will have to create one. More about that in a future blog!