Do you want to update things at home, but don’t know where to begin? Here are six tips to get your design projects off to a good start:
1. Assess the situation. What room needs an update most urgently? Take note of what you want to change and what works as is.
2. Use what you already own. Many times, swapping pieces between rooms is enough to achieve a fresh look. Take a peek also in the basement or attic; things you put away a few years ago might be just what you are looking for in your reinvented space!
3. Measure. Measure twice, buy once... Know the dimensions of the room you want to change. Draw a simple floorplan using graph paper and a scale ruler. Make mock ups of furniture with post-it notes and try different furniture layouts on paper.
4. Define your style. Look for inspiration on-line (see my post "Online inspiration for your projects") and in magazines. Save anything that represents the look you are after. Keep adding to the collection and look for trends that repeat throughout.
5. Determine a budet. When researching your style, make sure to also note how much things cost. Decide on a budget for your project.
6. Be consistent. Make a list of the items you want to purchase and stores you want to visit. Avoid distractions and stick to your plan, defined style and budget.
I'd love to hear how it went!
One of my favourite sources of inspiration is
House Beautiful, both on-line and as a magazine.